Saturday, April 13, 2013

Ultimate Finale 17 picks

It's the conclusion of the Ultimate Fighter Season 17 tonight, and we've got three fights not featuring people on the show to pick.

Urijah Faber and Scott Jorgensen are fighting in the main event in a bantamweight fight, and I am expecting the two to respect each other's ground games and keep the fight standing. In this situation, I'm inclined to say the "California Kid" has the advantage and his endless endurance supply will win the day.

I take Faber by decision.

Travis Browne and Gabriel Gonzaga also will be squaring off in the heavyweight division. I hold Gonzaga in slightly higher regard at the moment because of his winning streak, but Browne has quite the ground game. Ultimately, though, I'm giving Gonzaga the nod by KO 1.

Lastly, and most importantly, is the Women's Bantamweight No. 1 contender's bout between Miesha Tate and Cat Zingano. The winner becomes a coach on TUF 18 alongside champion Ronda Rousey.

Zingano appears to be better at stand-up and grappling, but Tate has her beat in wrestling. It will be a question of whether or not Tate can control the pace, and whether the gap in wrestling skill beats the gap in the other two areas.

I honestly don't think either is definitively better, but Tate's wrestling is the biggest gulf in skill and she has appeared more motivated in my view.

I'll be taking Tate by decision, though I wouldn't mind Zingano being a new challenger for the newest world champion.

Follow me at twitter.com/seantherebel and like my page at www.facebook.com/SeanNetworkBlogs.

No comments: