Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Reflections of... A stagnant title reign and Invicta 5

Some of you are probably wondering why I'm not talking about Matt Mitrione. Let's get that out of the way now: He's an idiot.

Yes, I agree that until scientific evidence backs up a claim that transgender women do not put women from birth at a competitive (and by extension, safety) disadvantage, I don't think transgenders like Fallon Fox should be sanctioned to fight in women's divisions.

However, from a personal identification perspective, she sees herself as a woman and is now post-op. Once both requirements are filled, it's time to grow up, dude. You and Joe Rogan need to take some chill pills. (I'm pretty sure Colorado and Washington have plenty right now.)

Ok, so anyway, ESPN did a story that said Dana White still plans to keep Dominick Cruz as UFC World Bantamweight Champion despite not defending for 18 months. This implies to me that he's almost healed and we should expect him to return before 2013 ends.

It also makes me thankful that Renan Barao is a fighting interim champion because otherwise 135-pounders might be ready to snap. I do believe Cruz is the true champion, but it's been a while since an interim belt has been needed so badly. I look forward to the inevitable match between Cruz and the Barao/Wineland winner.

Lastly, Invicta FC had its fifth event this past week. I didn't get to do a preview because I've been on a working marathon, but congrats need to go out to Barb Honchak, who won by unanimous decision (in what I felt was an upset of Vanessa Porto) to take the first Invicta (Women's) Flyweight Championship.

Congrats also go out to Michelle 'Karate Hottie' Waterson, who submitted Atomweight Champion Jessica Penne in Round 4 to become champion.

Cyborg Santos won her debut and against Fiona Muxlow and now will prepare for a shot at the first featherweight title against Marloes Coenen, who looks much improved since their last fight and should provide a much sturdier challenge this time.

Sarah Kaufman and Leslie Smith looked solid in Kaufman's split decision win, and I look forward to seeing them in the Octagon soon. I don't know how the bantamweight division will look with UFC taking the top talent from it, but hey, if that's the downside in women's MMA right now then I'd say Invicta and the sport as a whole is doing well for itself.

Follow me at twitter.com/seantherebel and like my page at www.facebook.com/SeanNetworkBlogs.

No comments: