Friday, October 26, 2012

Bellator 78 Picks: Can the UFC come back now?

I really do not like the cold spells between events that UFC tends to allow.

Yes, I understand that they have two "Ultimate Fighter" series going on right now, but blogging on that show isn't very interesting, and the fact that my house's TVs are already busy recording stuff doesn't make the show more accessible.

Maybe if they took my advice and had one fight per week with up-and-coming fighters currently on the roster and the whole thing was run in some small arena/high school gym, I could be more compelled to watch. For now, though, at least Bellator gives me real fights.

I kind of botched last week's preview on account of me forgetting about time, but nonetheless, I had a good 3-1 record despite offering no insights.

Well, lucky (or unlucky) for you, I will be providing a little analysis in this blog. And my first piece is: Bellator needs to have more communication between the matchmakers and the promotions department.

Women's Strawweight World Champion Zoila Gurgel is not receiving a main card match in spite of her return being promoted for the MTV2 broadcast. Brilliant.

She is on the undercard, though, facing Casey Noland in a flyweight bout. I personally will be taking the champ moving up in weight to win by submission in Round 1, but I guess I'll have to go online to find out if I'm right this time.

Anyway, let's look at the Welterweight Semifinals:

Lyman Good v. Michail Tsarev

I respect the Master of Hand-to-Hand combat degree that Russia apparently gives out to high-level athletes as well as Tsarev's BJJ background, but Lyman Good is a true veteran of the circular cage.

The former champ blew his chance at a rematch when Rick Hawn stopped him in last season's semis, but he is a complete and determined athlete. I expect Good to pick up a KO2 victory.

Marius Zaromskis v. Andrey Koreshkov Ok seriously, is Bellator obsessed with finding the next Fedor? Because all these Russian names are becoming an annoyance to cross-check.

Anyway, Lithuania's product and the final(?) DREAM Welterweight Champion looked far too impressive not to take him in this bout. His work with AKA is really showing and I see him as a legitimate threat in Bellator's division.

I take Zaromskis to win via decision.

Rest of the Main Card

Featherweights: Daniel Straus v. Alvin Robinson – Straus by decision

Middleweights: Brian Rogers v. Dominique Steele – Rogers by KO1

Follow me at twitter.com/seantherebel and Like my page at www.facebook.com/SeanNetworkBlogs.

No comments: