Saturday, January 24, 2015

UFC on Fox: Gustafsson vs. Johnson picks

After a great week of picking last week, and a phenomenally bizarre week of NFL ball-related controversy, it's time to get to the No. 1 contender bout for the UFC World Light Heavyweight Championship.

I'm going to take Alexander Gustafsson over Anthony "Rumble" Johnson by virtue of his overall size advantage and well-rounded striking.

Gustafsson, in my view, is the best challenge for Jon Jones and should have won the first fight. He has a shot at another match and I think he dominates his way to a Round-2 KO win.

In the co-main event, Dan Henderson (who is still fighting apparently) has a bout with Gegard Mousasi. While I like Mousasi's striking, it's not all that better from Hendo's in recent fights. Add in some great wrestling, and I'll take Hendo by decision.

In the final two main card fights, I'll pick Phil Davis to pick up a decision win over Ryan Bader, and I'll give Akira Corassani the win over Sam Sicilia in a decision. (Yeah, I'm not too hyped for this card outside the main event, as I don't see fighters getting in much KO or submission danger.)

No comments: