Saturday, June 15, 2013

UFC 161 preview (Can Silva fight already?)

Man, is this card weak or what?!

Don't get me wrong: Dan Henderson vs. Rashad Evans in a light heavyweight bout is a fine main event for a free TV card or a PPV co-main, but I'd be very surprised if this sells well.

Granted, it's going to do about the same numbers as when they included the interim bantamweight belt before. That said, it still won't get people interested in this fight card. It's clearly a placeholder until Anderson Silva and Chris Weidman put on the real show next month.

I feel like those supporting the card deserve some type of reward, so here's some awesomeness from Halestorm to listen to while you read!



As for the fight itself, it's an interesting battle between two guys of fairly similar styles. The main advantages for each is that I consider Evans to have a better wrestling/ground game while Hendo's power standing makes him better in that dimension.

Hendo's got age working against him, but he hasn't shown any signs of it yet. Moreover, the man has been a determined monster since Strikeforce.

I like Evans, but this is Hendo's night. I'll take him by KO 2.

Roy Nelson is in the co-main event against Stipe Miocic on short notice thanks to Soa Palalei getting injured. It's also the last fight on his deal, so I expect him to step up his game here.

Miocic is a good prospect, but Nelson is nearly impossible to knock out and he has looked much improved recently. As such, I'm going with Nelson by decision.

Light Heavyweights: Ryan Jimmo v. Igor Pokrajac - Both guys need a win, but I'll go with the Blackzilian, Jimmo, in his homeland by decision.

Women's Bantamweight: Alexis Davis v. Rosi Sexton - If there was any fight I wanted to see on this card, it was this one solely because Alexis Davis is a FOTN waiting to happen. Sexton will want to stand, which Davis will more than oblige, but it's when this goes to the ground that Davis dominates. Davis will win by third-round submission.

Heavyweights: Pat Barry v. Shawn Jordan - Jordan is entering his prime, and this may be the moment that he finally breaks through and becomes a real threat in this division. However, he has to prove it against a veteran in Barry who just recently won KOTN. Much like the rest of this card, I'm going with veteran ability, and I'll take Barry to win by KO 3.

Follow me at twitter.com/seantherebel and like my page www.facebook.com/SeanNetworkBlogs.

No comments: