Friday, November 2, 2012

Bellator 79 preview

These picks are basically the prelude to the big World Series of Fighting debut tomorrow, but nonetheless, I haven't forgotten about the company that feeds me at least two squash matches a week.

I went 4-1 with last week's Bellator event, and I really should figure out where my winning percentage is with only two months left in 2012. (Stay tuned for that!)

In the meantime, let's talk about the Heavyweight Semifinal bout between Richard Hale and Thiago Santos.

Hale has moved up in weight to be in this tournament, and has looked good. He is taking on a much more skilled ground fighter, however, tonight in Santos.

Hale looks to be a more complete fighter, but will the size make a difference? I actually think it will in this case, as Hale's loss to Christian M'Pumbu, while acceptable at LHW, shows a lack of something in this division.

I take Santos by Submission in Round 3.

Featherweight Tournament Semifinal: Shahbulat Shamhalaev v. Mike Richman

Richman looked impressive in his quick bout with Jeremy Spoon a few weeks back, as did Shamhalaev. Both have shown impressive striking skills.

Ultimately, though, I'm taking the guy with a head kick of doom. I've got Richman via KO2.

Rest of the main card

180-lb. Catchweight bout: Douglas Lima v. Jacob Ortiz - I'm going with the more proven Lima to win via KO1.

Welterweights: Ryan Ford v. Kyle Baker - This really feels like a squash to get Ford into a welterweight tournament. I'll take him via Submission in Round 1.

Come back tomorrow for a WSOF 1 preview!

And follow me at twitter.com/seantherebel and Like my page at www.facebook.com/SeanNetworkBlogs.

No comments: