Saturday, June 23, 2012

UFC 147 preview

Ok, so I had a bit of trouble getting online last night, so I was unable to make any picks for the UFC on FX card. It's too bad, because that card may very well wind up better than tonight's card.

UFC 147 is the first card that required so many changes that Dana White actually offered a full refund to anyone no longer interested in seeing the card.

There are only two main card fights that I even feel qualified to discuss, so I will make those picks.

Catchweight bout (190 lbs.) - Wanderlei Silva v. Rich Franklin


This is a depressing main event when you consider that at one point, Wandy was fighting Vitor Belfort on the third most important fight on the card (behind TWO title fights). Now the back-up plan for his fight leads the card.

Franklin won the first fight between the two via decision in a Fight of the Night. Silva this time will be in his homeland of Brazil and has actually been preparing for this card.

Silva has come a ways since his injury slew, so my expectation is that his preparedness makes a difference in the fight. Additionally, Franklin will have to cut down 15 pounds for the first time in three years and is coming off a loss to Forrest Griffin.

I'll take Silva via 3rd-round KO.


Heavyweight Bout: Fabricio Werdum v. Mike Russow


This match is kind of a given to me, as it was glorified filler. It also adds name value to a card that is mostly contestants on The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil.


Werdum looks to get back into UFC title contention with a win while former Division I wrestler Russow looks to get himself into a title shot before his career ends.

Russow has the ability to give Werdum trouble, but I will say Werdum wins by 2nd-round submission to advance to a No. 1 contender's bout later in the year.

This card is incredibly weak, and I will have to do a blog on the recurring injuries, but my next blog most likely will be my scoring of the Pacquiao-Bradley fight and why people are complaining about a decision that, honestly, is COMPLETELY REASONABLE.

Stay tuned for that!

No comments: