Tuesday, May 15, 2012

UFC on Fuel TV 3 preview

So last week was my graduation week, so it was a good thing that UFC is holding its event on a Tuesday this week and not a Saturday. As it stands, my schedule prevented me from doing a Bellator 68 preview last week.

For those who care, I did go 1-1 on the two Bellator fights I did pick on the radio. I picked Marcus Galvao to beat Travis Marx in the welterweight semifinal, but I picked the featherweight final incorrectly, as Marlon Sandro failed to beat Daniel Straus.

Additionally, last week, I was undefeated in my UFC on Fox picks until the main event, where Nate Diaz pulled out a victory that I didn't pick. So one that note, let's get to my first set of picks for the week.

Besides this UFC on Fuel event, I will have a Bellator 69 preview and a Strikeforce preview, as the company returns for the first time in months to show the final match of the Heavyweight Grand Prix.

I am energized for that card, but first, let's get to the UFC, who is headlining with a featherweight contest between Chan Sung Jung and Dustin Poirier.

This will be a classic striker vs. grappler battle, as Poirier is a BJJ purple belt while the Korean Zombie is a known amazing puncher.

Both are rising stars, and a win for either could vault them into the top echelon of fighters. Though Poirier is favored, I'll be taking the Zombie by decision here. I trust his striking and ability to get back to his feet to keep the fight in his area.

Welterweight Bout: Amir Sadollah v. Jorge Lopez


Here's a fight that was supposed to happen at UFC 143, but both men got injured. Additionally, both men are seeking to rebound from a loss in their last respective fights.

Sadollah's Sambo background should make him a threat on the ground, and I think the former TUF winner will win this one by submission in Round 2. Lopez's ability to knock out fighters is threatening, but Sadollah has proven he can hang around in fights, and that will make him a danger the farther into the fight the two go.

Lightweight Bout: Donald Cerrone v. Jeremy Stephens


These two guys have been fun to watch in the past few fights, but Stephens is coming off a loss to Anthony Pettis while Cerrone lost a narrow decision to Nate Diaz.

Both are complete fighters, but Cerrone's background has more name value. Additionally, it seems that Cerrone is in a caliber of fighters above Stephens. Maybe that changes here, but I'll back Cerrone by decision.


Rest of the Main Card


 Bantamweights: Yves Jabouin v. Jeff Hougland - Hougland by Round 1 submission.

Light Heavyweights: Igor Pokrajac v. Fabio Maldonado - Pokrajac by decision

Middleweights: Jason MacDonald v. Tom Lawlor - Lawlor by KO (Round 2)

No comments: