Saturday, April 21, 2012

UFC 145 preview

After a month off, it is finally time for the UFC to have a pay-per-view event.

Last night, I went 4-1 on my Bellator picks so here's hoping that the trend continues for me.

I've been looking forward to this fight for a while, and I gave my opinions on all the fights of this card on my radio show. As such, forgive me, but while I'm still in catch-up mode I'll just preview the main event and give my picks the rest of the way.

Rashad Evans (18-1-1, 7 KO, 2 Sub) and UFC Light Heavyweight World Champion Jon Jones (15-1, 8 KO, 5 Sub) have been in a verbal sparring match since the two were teammates and Jones got to take Evans' title match.

Evans will be looking to use his strong boxing game, but that could work to his disadvantage with Jones' significantly longer reach.

Jones will most likely seek out a submission to avoid most of Evans' power standing up. As has been seen, his ground-and-pound and submission games are on par with the elites of the division.

I see no real way that Jones loses his title here, though if any fighter's intelligence could provide an X-factor, it's Evans. That said, I'll take Jones by KO in Round 2.

Rest of the Card

Welterweight Bout: Rory MacDonald v. Che Mills - Mills by decision

Heavyweight Bout: Brendan Schaub v. Ben Rothwell - Schaub by Submission (Round 1)

Bantamweight Bout: Miguel Torres v. Michael McDonald - Torres by decision

Featherweight Bout: Mark Hominick v. Eddie Yagin - Hominick by KO (Round 3)

Lightweight Bout:  Mark Bocek v. John Alessio - Alessio by decision

No comments: