Saturday, January 12, 2013

A farewell to Strikeforce: Preview of Marquardt vs. Saffiedine

I've been a little busy with the whole Ravens upsetting Denver thing to write a preview of Strikeforce's final card, so here are my picks:

194-lb. Catchweight: "Jacare" Souza will beat Ed Herman via Round 2 submission.

Light Heavyweights: Gegard Mousasi wins over Mike Kyle by KO1.

Heavyweights: Josh Barnett wins over Nandor Guelmino by KO2.

Heavyweights: Daniel Cormier will beat Dion Starling by Round 1 submission.

And that leaves the title bout between Welterweight Champion Nate Marquardt and challenger Tarec Saffiedine. I've heard Dan Henderson all day via Twitter about Saffiedine's impending victory, so I've heard all the reasons why he should win.

However, he has only proven himself as a stand-up fighter where Marquardt is more of an all-around talent. I think Nate The Great holds him down and wins by decision. In all likelihood, that will move him into a No. 1 contender's match for GSP's UFC belt.

This is the first card of 2013, so let's look at my 2012 record: 168-113-1 (103-66-1 UFC). That's a 60 (61) winning percentage, so let's see how I start this year!

No comments: