Saturday, August 18, 2012

Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman preview

I am not going to lie: I'm watching this card for one fight and one fight only.

Strikeforce has really become a slew of lackluster fights with only a couple of guys serving as a selling point for the shows.


That said, while few guys sell for me, the entire women's division is a selling point.

I've spoken with great endorsement of Invicta FC, the all-female promotion that has been producing deep, exciting cards. And I love Strikeforce's division - the only World class women's title there is.

Tonight's Women's World Bantamweight title bout between Ronda Rousey and former champ Sarah Kaufman is a glimpse of giving someone the shot they deserved. Although Rousey won, Kaufman had earned the match with Miesha Tate, and I'm glad she was able to have a chance now.

This match-up will come down to whether or not Kaufman can keep the fight standing or not. Her grappling is formidable, but nowhere near the level of Rousey.

She has takedown defense, but that's more for wrestling-style takedowns. This match will really test Kaufman in ways that she hasn't faced before.

Rousey is in an interesting situation herself. Tate did cause Rousey to struggle while standing (even if she did score throws soon after realizing that), and Kaufman is an even more dangerous striker.

I firmly believe that Kaufman is capable of pulling an upset here, so I'd avoid all bets in this fight. That said, I do think that Olympian-level judo is too much to ask of Kaufman for me to call the upset. Plus, how do you go against a fighter who said she could make Steven Seagal her bitch.

I will take Rousey by submission in Round 2.

Rest of the Main Card

Middleweights: Jacare Souza v. Derek Brunson - Jacare by KO 1

Welterweights: Tarec Saffiedine v. Roger Bowling - Saffiedine by decision

Middleweights: Lumumba Sayers v. Anthony Smith - Sayers by KO 1

Light Heavyweights: Ovince St. Preux v. TJ Cook - OSP by decision

 -- 'Like' the blog's Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/#!/SeanNetworkBlogs
 -- Follow my Twitter at twitter.com/seantherebel

No comments: